Founded in 1991, Boulden Energy Systems has provided engine solutions for our 30 years. We’ve designed custom heat transfer, cooling, and exhaust emission control systems for thousands of mission-critical facilities across the United States. Our extensive custom engineered system design experience, combined with our partnerships with premier stationary generator dealers, enable us to deliver resilient, reliable, and cost-efficient systems to our customers.
One of our core product offerings is exhaust flex, braids, and expansion joints. These components play a vital role in the exhaust systems of engines, ensuring they operate effectively and efficiently.
Overview of Exhaust Flex, Braids, and Expansion Joints
Exhaust flex, braids, and expansion joints create flexible connections between pipe sections in an exhaust system. As a result, they absorb unintentional movements caused by vibrations and thermal expansion/contraction, reducing the amount of stress experienced by piping joints.
Advantages of Exhaust Flex, Braids, and Expansion Joints at Boulden Energy Systems
Compared to alternative or competitor components, the exhaust flex, braids, and expansion joints offered by Boulden Energy Systems have a number of advantages. For example:
- They are capable of absorbing both vibrations and oscillations.
- They are highly durable, producing gas-tight connections and resisting damage/degradation caused by corrosive compounds and extreme temperatures.
- They are lightweight, reducing total loads on hangers and pipe supports.
- They have very low spring rates and very high flex performance, both of which further decrease loads on hangers and pipe supports.
- They are economical.
Boulden Energy Systems exhaust flex, braids, and expansion joints are available in a wide variety of materials, sizes, and configurations to suit different piping systems and applications.
How to Use Exhaust Flex, Braids, and Expansion Joints
If you’ve decided to integrate flex, braids, and/or expansion joints into your piping system, it is important to consider the application environment when choosing your components. Different conditions require different types of designs and materials. The wrong design or material can result in poor operation or performance.
Some considerations to keep in mind include:
- Flow velocity. If the flow velocity is high, you may need to use inner sleeves with the components.
- Natural frequency/harmonics. If the components will be exposed to vibrations, you need to make sure the natural frequency/harmonics will not coincide with the frequencies of the exhaust system.
Applications for Exhaust Flex, Braids, and Expansion Joints
Exhaust flex, braids, and expansion joints are found in systems across a wide range of industries. Typical uses include:
- Auxiliary power systems
- Gas turbine exhaust systems
- Generator sets
- Marine propulsion systems
- OEM engines
- Power units
Why Choose Boulden Energy Systems for Exhaust Flex, Braids, and Expansion Joints?
At Boulden Energy Systems, we fully understand that each customer may have different engine requirements and restrictions, which is why we offer a broad selection of customizable exhaust flex, braids, and expansion joints. The components can be tailored for optimal on-site system installation and integration operations. To learn more about these products and how they can benefit your facility and operations, request a quote today.